Access to Medical Records

Access to Medical Records

Subject Access Requests (SAR)

In accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 and the Access to Health Records Act, patients may request to see their medical records.  No information will be released without the patient consent unless we are legally obliged to do so.

Subject Access Requests (SAR) Making a request for personal information under the Data Protection Act 1998

1. Download the relevant SAR form here

If you wish to make a request f r ‘personal data’ under the Data Protection Act (DPA) 1998 you must do so in writing or by completing the Subject Access Request (SAR) form. Please supply as much detail as possible in order that we provide the most relevant information in relation to your request.

2. On collection you must provide documents to verify your ID

The Data Protection Act places a legal obligation on the Practice to ensure we do not supply any information unless we have received:

  • a request in writing, and
  • further information in order to satisfy ourselves as to the identity of the person making a request.

3. Send your request by post

Send your completed SAR form to:

Stable Fold Surgery

119 Church Street





How much will it cost?

As a Data Controller of personal information, the practice charge the maximum £10 fee for dealing with a subject access request for electronic records. There are special rules that apply to fees for access to manual health records (for example those records which fall under the Lloyd George envelope category).

To provide copies of patient health records the maximum costs are:

  • Health records held electronically: up to a maximum £10 charge.
  • Health records held in part electronically and in part on other media (paper, x-ray film): up to a maximum £50 charge.
  • Health records held totally on other media: up to a maximum £50 charge.

How long will it take?

Section 7 of the Data Protection Act places a statutory obligation on organisations to respond to such requests within 40 calendar days; we will however endeavour to respond to your request in line with the Department of Health guidance of 21 days.


Your Medical Records when Leaving the Practice

It is very important that you are registered with a doctor near to where you live. We encourage patients to do this as soon as possible if they move out of the practice area.  Once you have re-registered with a new GP, your medical records will be forwarded on to them via NHS England. 

If you move to a GP surgery that uses the same clinical computer system to us, your electronic medical record will be available to them as soon as they register you at the practice. This is called GP2GP and is already in use between practices using the same clinical system.  

GP Health Records for un-registered or deceased individuals

NHS England is the data controller of GP health records where an individual is currently not registered with a GP or is deceased. These records are held by Primary Care Support England (PCSE) on behalf of NHS England. You can find the application form and details of where to send your request on the PCSE website.

You can find more information about accessing health records on the NHS Choices website.


Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website